If you want to lose weight – it’s best to do it healthily. We’ve asked our expert nutritionist Caroline Farrell for her top weight loss tips to get you started. Here’s what she said:
1. Replace black tea or coffee with green tea. Green tea has been shown to support weight loss. Limit consumption to 1-2 green teas a day as caffeine present in green tea can raise blood sugar levels.
2. Watch your portion sizes. Serving plates have increased in size over recent years. One study showed that eating from a larger bowl resulted in a 56% increased calorie intake per person. Aim to eat from a dinner plate no larger than 10 inches in diameter.
3. Increase fibre in your diet. Fibre makes you feel fuller by reducing levels of an appetite stimulating hormone called ghrelin while increasing levels of appetite suppressors (PYY and CKK). Good sources of fibre include legumes (chickpeas, lentils and kidney beans), nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables.
4. Avoid artificial sweeteners (found in many diet foods and drinks) as their sweet taste signals the body to absorb sugar from a meal.
5. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. We often mistake thirst for hunger so make sure you keep well-hydrated, especially prior to eating. A recent study found that those drinking two 250ml glasses of water thirty minutes before each of their three main meals lost 5lb more weight loss than those who did not consume the water.
6. Take snacks with you when you go out. This is helpful in case you get hungry and are tempted to make less healthy choices. Pieces of fruit, nuts and seeds are easy to pack into your bag.
7. Allow yourself the occasional treat! Strict diets don’t work. As long as you keep to the diet 8o% of the time, you will still reap the rewards.
8. Don’t eat while watching television or working. Mindless eating can make you consume more.
9. Eat slowly and chew food well. It takes 20 minutes for the brain to register you are full. If you eat slowly and allow time to register you are full, you will be less likely to want seconds
10. Make sure you get at least 8 hours sleep a night. Lack of sleep promotes the secretion of ghrelin, an appetite hormone.
Good luck with your weight loss goals – we hope these 10 healthy tips will help you achieve them.
If you enjoyed this, you might enjoy: Anti-Ageing Foods – How To Nourish Your Skin from Within.